Conversation Skills is a course that enhances effective communication skills to include the ability to stay in dialogue when emotions are driving us to “shout out” or “shut down.” This course provides knowledge and tools for listening, creating connection and facilitating dialogue in tough, emotional situations. The principles and models taught are aligned with spiritual practices. The class is based on the model of Nonviolent Communication (NVC), which includes: taking responsibility for our own experience; commitment to increasing our awareness of our own feelings and needs as well as those of the people with whom we interact; and having the capacity to be authentic and compassionate in all circumstances.
Course Learning Objectives
Upon completion of this course, learners will be able to:
- Demonstrate the ability to listen from the heart in every situation
- Distinguish facts from stories in situations driven by emotion
- Create a safe environment for dialogue
- Apply spiritual principles and Nonviolent Communications in daily communications
- Crucial Conversations by Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny, Ron McMillan, and Al Switzler, McGraw-Hill Publisher.
- Nonviolent Communications by Marshall B.Rosenberg, 2nd Edition, Puddle Dancer Press,