BIBLE 3: Christian Scriptures Background and Interpretation
ALL CLASS TIMES ARE AEST
Tuesdays July 19-August 16, 6:30-8:30pm
This course is based on the premise that, whatever else they may be, the Christian Scriptures most definitely are the response of early Christian writers to both the person and the message of Jesus Christ.
We will explore many mysteries about when and why the Gospels, and the earlier letters attributed to the Apostle Paul, were written. As in the earlier Hebrew Scriptures classes, we will look at the metaphysical interpretation as we go. Unity’s metaphysical approach to interpreting scriptures aims to help cultivate self-knowledge and contact with the Higher Spiritual Self commonly called “Christ within” and “Christ consciousness.”
Join us to deepen understanding of the stories of Jesus, the spread of his teachings, and how they are relevant to us today
Part 2 will be held in November/December.
On completion of this course learners will be able to:Identify parts and origins of the Christian Scriptures.
- Develop a basic understanding of the meaning of the Christian Scriptures for the people to whom they were written.
- Describe the four major divisions of the Christian Scriptures.
- Define maieutic Bible interpretation and metaphysical Bible
- Interpret a Bible story using both methods of interpretation.
- Relate the interpretation to their own lives.
Books for this class are:
- Bible NRSV – preferably a Study Bible; recommended The New Interpreter’s Study Bible.
- Reading the Bible Again – For the First Time – Marcus J. Borg Harper Collins Publishers
- The Revealing Word, Unity Books.
- Metaphysical Bible Dictionary, R.C.Douglass Unity Books.
- Evolution of the Word by Marcus Borg (which includes the NRSV New Testament)