BIBLE 2: Hebrew Scriptures Background and Interpretation
ALL CLASS TIMES ARE AEST
Tuesdays, April 5 – May 3, 6:30-8:30pm
Exciting news: we are going to combine the two Bible subjects, Overview of Hebrew Scriptures and Interpretation of same, into one subject! This means we can explore both the history and development of the Hebrew Scriptures and the Metaphysical Interpretation, making a much more exciting and meaningful journey through the Bible.
Beneath the literal sense of the Bible, interpreters have for over 2,000 years discerned allegorical meanings related to divine truths and spiritual realities. Unity’s approach to scripture is connected to that stream of thought, which has at times been “mainstream” but more often “esoteric” and mystical. Students will experience the rewarding and surprisingly practical process of the Unity way of Bible interpretation. They will learn a step-by-step method for metaphysical interpretation and application of the meanings to their lives. Students will metaphysically interpret selected passages from Hebrew Scriptures.
On completion of this course learners will be able to:
- Identify parts and origins of the Hebrew Scriptures
- Identify the writers and the times of the writings
- Compare time periods and explain their significance
- Explain how the Hebrew Scriptures can present the story of the evolution of the consciousness of humankind
- Interpret stories, characters and places metaphysically
- Relate the interpretations to life today
- Interpret the stories maieutically for deeper meaning.
The books for this course are:
- Bible NRSV – preferably a Study Bible; recommended The New Interpreter’s Study Bible.
- The Revealing Word, Unity Books.
- Metaphysical Bible Dictionary, R.C.Douglass Unity Books.